FROM: The Centre for Science and Technology of Non-Aligned and Other Developing Countries (NAM S&T Centre)
TO: Scientists and Science Administrators in Developing Countries
CC: Embassies / Consulates of Developing Countries in New Delhi
CC: Indian Embassies / Consulates in Developing Countries
CC: Indian Academic and R&D Institutions
CC: Focal Points of the NAM S&T Centre in Member Countries and NAM S&T–Industry Network Members
CC: Bureau Members of the 13th Governing Council of the NAM S&T Centre
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
No. NAM – 05/74/2016
5th April 2016
Subject: Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS): Call for Applications for 2016-17
Greetings from the Centre for Science and Technology of the Non-Aligned and Other Developing Countries (NAM S&T Centre)!!
2. The NAM S&T Centre invites applications from the scientists, technologists and engineers of the developing countries for the award of Fellowships under the ‘Research Training Fellowship for Developing Country Scientists (RTF-DCS)’ scheme for the year 2016-17. The RTF-DCS Programme aims at capacity building of the developing countries in the fields of Science & Technology through the affiliation of their scientists with Indian scientific and academic Centres of Excellence.
3. The salient features of the RTF-DCS programme are as under:-
(i) No. of Fellowships: 50
(ii) Duration of Fellowship: The Fellowship is for a period of six months. Therefore the interested applicants must be absolutely certain about their availability for six months, if selected for this Fellowship.
(iii) Broad Disciplines, in which Fellowship are available: Agricultural Sciences; Biological and Medical Sciences; Chemical Sciences; Physical Sciences and Mathematics; Earth Sciences; Engineering Sciences; Materials, Minerals and Metallurgy; and Multi-disciplinary & Other Areas.
(iv) Eligibility Conditions: Scientists/researchers from any developing country (except India) below 40 years of age (as on 1st January 2016) and possessing at least a Post Graduate Degree in any Natural Science subject or an equivalent degree in Technology / Engineering / Medicine / allied disciplines.
(v) Financial Terms: Full financial assistance to the Fellows, including (a) round trip international airfare by excursion/economy class, (b) a monthly Fellowship amount of Indian Rupees (INR) 35,000 [about US$525 at the current exchange rate] (non-taxable) to cover accommodation, meals and other miscellaneous expenses and (c) a one-time grant of INR 30,000 [about US$450] for research contingency and domestic travel, including airport transfers, visiting research institutions, attending scientific events and field-trips within India, subject to the approval of the research supervisor. The Indian host institutions will also be suitably compensated for their services for implementation of the programme.
4. Detailed guidelines of the Fellowship scheme are given in the attached Announcement Brochure.
5. To prepare the proposal, the applicants should carefully study the material available in these guidelines.
It is advisable for an applicant [though not mandatory, but may be useful for his/her final selection/placement] to make a prior contact with a concerned Indian scientist or an institution in India where work is in progress in the area of interest to the applicant, and obtain consent that he/she, if selected, will be accepted to work in the institution on the proposed research project. A copy of the consent letter, if available, should be enclosed with the application.
A suggestive list of Indian academic and research institutions has been enclosed with the Announcement, but the applicant is free to contact any other institution in India about which information may be gathered either through Internet search or other means.
6. Application should be submitted to the NAM S&T Centre in the prescribed format (enclosed with the Brochure). Only electronic communication will be accepted. Therefore the filled-in application form and other enclosures as listed in Section-VIII, Para-1 of the Brochure should be sent as attachments to an e-mail addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org, after scanning the documents wherever required.
Please do not send us hard copies of the application or any other document.
7. Selection will be made by a High Level Selection Committee based on the quality of the research proposal submitted by the applicant and his/her academic merit.
8. The last date for submission of completed application form along with required enclosures is Friday, 17th June 2016.
You are earnestly requested to kindly widely disseminate this announcement to the concerned researchers and research institutions in your country, and if possible, display on the Notice Board.
Prof. Arun Kulshreshtha
Prof. Dr. Arun P. Kulshreshtha,
Centre for Science & Technology of Non-Aligned and Other Developing Countries
(NAM S&T Centre),
Core 6A, 2nd Floor, India Habitat Centre,
New Delhi – 110003, INDIA
Ph.:(+91)(11) 24645134/24644974 (O)
Fax: (+91)(11) 24644973